Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Biopsy results, does anybody know how to read them

l_jay75 - Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:59 am

Hi there
I have just had biopsys taken and have the results back but I don't know what they mean. Can anybody help me.
" Peritoneal biopsy"
Sections show fragments of peritoneal tissue showing focal mesothelial cell hyperplasia with chronic inflamation.
The only thing I can get out of it is that I have inflamation in my lower abdomen, But of what origin I do not know.
Please help me.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
That's actually all it says that you have a chronic inflammation. Mesothelial cells are the just the cells that normally make up the peritoneum. Mesothelial hyperplasia means that they have abnormally increased in number. This again is a normal occurance in inflammation.

Best regards,
 l_jay75 - Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:59 pm

thankyou for replying. It helps to put my mind at rest.
I was a bit worried about the word hyperplasia as I had heard the it was precancerous condition of the uteris. Thankyou again very much.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us