Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Biopsy results, does anybody know how to read them

l_jay75 - Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:59 am

Hi there
I have just had biopsys taken and have the results back but I don't know what they mean. Can anybody help me.
" Peritoneal biopsy"
Sections show fragments of peritoneal tissue showing focal mesothelial cell hyperplasia with chronic inflamation.
The only thing I can get out of it is that I have inflamation in my lower abdomen, But of what origin I do not know.
Please help me.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:30 pm

That's actually all it says that you have a chronic inflammation. Mesothelial cells are the just the cells that normally make up the peritoneum. Mesothelial hyperplasia means that they have abnormally increased in number. This again is a normal occurance in inflammation.

l_jay75 - Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:59 pm

thankyou for replying. It helps to put my mind at rest.
I was a bit worried about the word hyperplasia as I had heard the it was precancerous condition of the uteris. Thankyou again very much.