Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Post herina pain

jkam - Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi I had bilaterial herina surgery 3 months ago I have done pretty well, but from time to time, after over doing it I get a knifeing pain about 4 inches below the insision , on the right side only .I have been looking for possiable reasons for this pain . Can you give me some feedback. this has happened twice since the surgery and both times it went away. I was hopeing for a reason why it happens?

Thanks John K.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 pm

User avatar Hello Jkam,

It may be that you have developed a small amount of scar tissue, which may have formed a tighter band in the area of your pain. If this happened, when you move just right it may pull on a nerve.

If you begin to have this frequently or if it is getting more painful I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation.

Best wishes.
 jkam - Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:30 am

Dr lowe

It sounds like you are spot on. My problem is that i will be out of town for 5 weeks before i can see my doctor .Do you have any suggestions on how to help the area of possiable nerve inpengment. Rest ? massage therpy and if the pain gets worst what has to be done for it to go away?

thanks John K
 rich543 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:46 pm

I had double hernia surgery 4.5 weeks ago and am experiencing burning pain sometimes when I move or I massage the area around the incision or below it. Is this normal? I'm suppose to be returning back to work in 2 weeks and I lift 100 lbs at times. Will this be ok? Can I exercise?

rich543

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us