Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: post surgical infection wound question

martm - Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm

i had a panniculectomy and ventrial hernia repair in January. last week i was hospitalized to treat a HC-MRSA infection in an open wound at the intersection of my incisions (59" lateral incision *fleur de lis* and 22" vertical incision) i'm on antibiotics, andthe infection was confined tothe wound only. The wound now is approx 1.5cm x 1cm, and approx 1.5 cm deep. i am packing it with aquacellAG and covering with gauze and tegaderm. it is still draining but ct scans show that the liquid in my abdomen is decreasing at a more than satisfactory rate.
my question is, about how long can i expect until the wound heals, and will it close completely? i'm basically wondering what it will look like.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
These are questions I can't actually answer for you since individuals heal at varying rates. I would expect several weeks to healing. Yes, it will close completely and yes, you could have a more defined scar than you would have without the post-op infection. Only time will tell here as scars can take months and even years to continue fading.

Good luck.
 martm - Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 pm

thank you.. it is healing well and is nearly closed by now. i have two more weeks of antibiotics and have just returned to work (finally!)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar I'm glad to hear it. I know it is a tedious process. Thanks for the update.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us