Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: post surgical infection wound question

martm - Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm

i had a panniculectomy and ventrial hernia repair in January. last week i was hospitalized to treat a HC-MRSA infection in an open wound at the intersection of my incisions (59" lateral incision *fleur de lis* and 22" vertical incision) i'm on antibiotics, andthe infection was confined tothe wound only. The wound now is approx 1.5cm x 1cm, and approx 1.5 cm deep. i am packing it with aquacellAG and covering with gauze and tegaderm. it is still draining but ct scans show that the liquid in my abdomen is decreasing at a more than satisfactory rate.
my question is, about how long can i expect until the wound heals, and will it close completely? i'm basically wondering what it will look like.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:42 pm

These are questions I can't actually answer for you since individuals heal at varying rates. I would expect several weeks to healing. Yes, it will close completely and yes, you could have a more defined scar than you would have without the post-op infection. Only time will tell here as scars can take months and even years to continue fading.

martm - Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 pm

thank you.. it is healing well and is nearly closed by now. i have two more weeks of antibiotics and have just returned to work (finally!)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar I'm glad to hear it. I know it is a tedious process. Thanks for the update.