Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: unidentified lump

 jfstars420 - Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:23 pm

I am a 21 year old female. Within the last 2 days i have developed a strange lump in my crotch area. it is sore and slightly swollen. it is between the thigh and buttocks. it is under the skin and when i touch it, it hurts and i can feel a lump. it is not like this on the other side, i am very confused. I don't think it is related to an std, but i'm not 100% sure about this. i am really wanting to know how urgent it is that i see a doctor, and what on earth it could be. Please write back
 little_miss_mortisha - Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:46 pm

do you shave or wax the hair there? i had a similar thing and it turned out to be a boil from an infected hair folicule. i think the hair had burrowed under the skin causeing the infection. If your worried athough i would go to the docs. Hope that helps. Love nat xxxx

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us