Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Morton's neuroma post-op problems

 aeroferret - Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Hello, I'm a 50 yr. old female who had a Morton's neuroma removed from my right foot 8 days ago.

I have more pain NOW than I did before the surgery---a burning pain that happens even when I am not walking on it. I am still walking with crutches (and I tend to walk on my heel now because I am anticipating the pain to occur with my next step...)

I am worried about this, because 19 years ago I had a neuroma removed from my other foot, and I had absolutely NO problems recovering---no pain what so ever and back to work within the week.

My concern is : is my current post-op considered "normal" ? Is the pain something most people do experience after this type of surgery? ; or am I just getting paranoid about this because my previous surgery was so textbook perfect and the current one is not?

Thank you, Aeroferret
 Parks P, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:34 pm

User avatar Hello, usually surgical excision of the neuroma often brings complete relief. when we are younger we recover much faster from surgical procedures granted ,when we are healthy. The burning pain you are referring to is usually associated with nerve pain. Post-op you should not be having that much pain 5-7 days later. I would talk to the surgeon who did your operation and let him/her know you are still having pain. Sometimes the pain can be treated with injections of a local anesthetic and long acting corticosteroids, but you need to let your surgeon know you are still having pain.

Good Luck, Paul

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us