Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Side Of Nose Leaking After Rhinoplasty

lauravasic - Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 am

I wasn't sure who to ask this question since it involves more than one part of the body. But since it began with a surgery, I'll ask a surgeon.
I had a plastic surgery to fix the bridge of my nose, take in my nostrils and 'redo' my eye sockets; and ever since than the left side of my nose has been leaking a clear, water-like, salty fluid. It's not coming from my nostrils but from the crease of the nostril. This has been going on for 2 years now and it's getting very annoying. A few people have mentioned "CSF rhinorrhea" which is concerning since I have a VP shunt. I also was thinking that maybe the fluid has a connection to the surgery that was done on my eyes. Maybe the fluid is some form of tears?
I have spoken with my doctor about what this fluid could be and if there is a possibility that the nose just didn't heal correctly and there is a 'hole' in the side of the nostril. But alas, he thinks I'm being 'silly'.
Any ideas about what this fluid could be? And how to stop this leaking?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 am

One of the rare complications of rhinoplasty surgery is trauma to the lacrimal drainage system (LDS).The lacrimal drainage system (LDS) is vulnerable to surgical trauma during rhinoplasty - but utmost care is taken to avoid this complication.This has a tendency to close sponteneously over time.The lacrimal drainage system can be investigated by a system known as "active transport dacryocystography" (ATD).

One other very rare complication is a CSF (cerebro spinal fluid) leak. Identification of 'beta-2 transferrin' in the draining fluid constitutes a definitive diagnosis of this complication.If this complication unfortunately occurs, it needs to be surgically corrected by an experienced neurosurgeon.
I trust this information is useful to you.How are you now? Hope you got better.