Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Side Of Nose Leaking After Rhinoplasty

lauravasic - Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 am

I wasn't sure who to ask this question since it involves more than one part of the body. But since it began with a surgery, I'll ask a surgeon.
I had a plastic surgery to fix the bridge of my nose, take in my nostrils and 'redo' my eye sockets; and ever since than the left side of my nose has been leaking a clear, water-like, salty fluid. It's not coming from my nostrils but from the crease of the nostril. This has been going on for 2 years now and it's getting very annoying. A few people have mentioned "CSF rhinorrhea" which is concerning since I have a VP shunt. I also was thinking that maybe the fluid has a connection to the surgery that was done on my eyes. Maybe the fluid is some form of tears?
I have spoken with my doctor about what this fluid could be and if there is a possibility that the nose just didn't heal correctly and there is a 'hole' in the side of the nostril. But alas, he thinks I'm being 'silly'.
Any ideas about what this fluid could be? And how to stop this leaking?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 am

User avatar Hi,
One of the rare complications of rhinoplasty surgery is trauma to the lacrimal drainage system (LDS).The lacrimal drainage system (LDS) is vulnerable to surgical trauma during rhinoplasty - but utmost care is taken to avoid this complication.This has a tendency to close sponteneously over time.The lacrimal drainage system can be investigated by a system known as "active transport dacryocystography" (ATD).

One other very rare complication is a CSF (cerebro spinal fluid) leak. Identification of 'beta-2 transferrin' in the draining fluid constitutes a definitive diagnosis of this complication.If this complication unfortunately occurs, it needs to be surgically corrected by an experienced neurosurgeon.
I trust this information is useful to you.How are you now? Hope you got better.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us