Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Lump near Bellybutton after gallbladder laproscopy

 ask208 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 am

I had my gallbladder removed through laproscopy due multiple gallstones. This was done on November 8th 2008. Within two weeks the incision wounds healed but pain around the incision area remained. After a month I rejoined my official duties, for which I had to travel extensively for two to three days. On this journey incision wound just below my chest (which was only a scar by then) started bulging out and sooner started oozing out blood and pus. On my doctor's advice i out it dressed up and had two different anti-biotic tabs. But even after two months now the wound is still not healed. I was asked to undergo blood test twice. But the results were normal. Now, i find a two lumps - one just below wound (incision point) below the chest, and another just below the belly button. The lump below the chest is not painful but when i press it a fluid oozes out the wound above it. The lump below the bellybutton has a piercing pain when i touch it or otherwise too. I find it difficult to wear my trousers due to this lump as it just under the buckle of my trousers.
What are these lumps? Infections or something else? Do i have to undergo a surgery again on this?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 pm

It has been over two months, you should be healed by now. These fluid collections are not usual and although you have had your bloodwork done to check for infection, have you actually had the doctor examine you>?
I would make an appointment to have these areas examined , especially if you have irritation from the waistband of your pants.
Good Luck
Let us know what happens
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:08 am

User avatar Hi,
After going through your history, it suggests either of two possibilities.
a) a retained suture with an associated granuloma or
b) an early incisional herniation.
you must visit your surgeon and get yourself assessed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us