Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Head injury scar

 stephieee4 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:56 pm

I Was hit in the face on my forhead between my nose and eyebrow about 2 years ago. Ever since the accident my face randomly swells a lot in that area and causes the whole left side of my head and face to hurt so bad. The last few weeks it's gotten bigger and more painful. What is this? and what can i do about it?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 pm

User avatar Hello --

Well something is very likely happening due to the head injury, but we'll need some more information in order to even hazard a guess. Meanwhile, did you have medical attention at the time of the injury? Were there x-rays or other imaging done? Can you tell us what came into contact with your head and otherwise describe the mechanism of injury?

It's an unusual presentation, especially two years post trauma, but it seems very likely, due to the chronology and the location that it's related to the blow to your head. I'm wondering if you didn't maybe suffer a fracture in the occiptal region but affecting a sinus, which may have become blocked or developed a cyst, causing intermittent accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid which then drains, relieving the symptoms, only to come back again and again. It's just a guess, given how little we know about your mechanism of injury and if there was anything found at the time. It is a reason for concern, for sure, and really should be evaluated by a neurologist, but in the meantime maybe we can help point you in the right direction if you can provide the additonal facts. Meanwhile, please consider having a thorough neurological eval. This just isn't even close to right.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us