Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Surgery for umbilical hernia gone awry

 yort - Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:29 pm

I am a 41 year old male that recently had surgery to correct an umbilical hernia that I had all my life. My hernia was never life threatening as I was told it could become, but as I got older it became more than just an "outy" it had gotten larger to the point where I was getting self conscience about it, so I decided to have it fixed. I had done allot of research about umbilical hernia's and learned that there were two common procedures to repair it, the first was to simply suture the hernia shut and the second procedure was to apply a mesh material over the opening. The mesh procedure is 95% effective while the "tension" procedure has a 50% reoccurrence rate. I had discussed this with my surgeon and he said that if the hernia was small then he would just simply suture it closed - and that's what he did.

Six months later the hernia has ripped open and is worse now than it ever was before! I am in constant pain and I can barely move around or bend over. It feels like my stomach muscles have been severed and my guts are just being held in by my skin.

Now what? Do I ask to have the surgery again? This operation cost me several thousand dollars and I have no more money to pay for more surgery. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 am

User avatar Hi,
If in case it has unfortunately recurred, there may not be much options left except to get it re-repaired.... either by an open mesh repair or laparoscopically.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us