Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Removing ear cartilage piercing for surgery

AussieBoom86 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm having minor surgery, and I have been asked to remove all piercings. I have a 2 month old ear cartilage piercing that I am worried will close when I remove it. I have purchased a non-metal retainer that I am considering replacing it with for the surgery. However, I am not sure what the piercing is made of. I assume it is some form of acrylic.

I have read warnings against the use of acrylic in new piercings because it is porous and harbors bacteria, and it can even release toxins. However, I am only planning to leave the retainer in for a day at the most, not for any extended period of time. Is this a safe option?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 am

Using an acrylic one temporarily should be OK. Alternately, you may request your surgeon to place a suture such as nylon or prolene through the ear piercing and secure it temporarily.