Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Nasal Septoplasty Post Op Problem

a5621789 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 pm

I was having really bad alergies and my Dr forbade me to take my only relief. Flonase. So about a week after my Nasal Septoplasty, in an effort to breath better I put my finger in my nose and pushed. Now my nose is no longer straight and I'm having much more difficulty breathing through it. I don't know what to do? how to straighten it. It almost looks straight inside and out but I can't breath through it, and one side feels slightly blocked off at the top. My Dr. Can't see me for a week and I'm afraid that it will have healed too much in the time. What can I do?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Your digital manipulation could have had the potential to cause a septal hematoma,
This is one of the known complications following septoplasty procedures (although,is a rare complication).This can result in deformity of the nose later on.
The other possibility is swelling of the turbinates (again caused by self-innflicted trauma).Both of these are capable of narrowing the nasal cavity acutely to cause a sensation of nasal blockade.
Please consult your ENT surgeon as soon as possible.Earlier, the better.
Good luck!