Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Nasal Septoplasty Post Op Problem

a5621789 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 pm

I was having really bad alergies and my Dr forbade me to take my only relief. Flonase. So about a week after my Nasal Septoplasty, in an effort to breath better I put my finger in my nose and pushed. Now my nose is no longer straight and I'm having much more difficulty breathing through it. I don't know what to do? how to straighten it. It almost looks straight inside and out but I can't breath through it, and one side feels slightly blocked off at the top. My Dr. Can't see me for a week and I'm afraid that it will have healed too much in the time. What can I do?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your digital manipulation could have had the potential to cause a septal hematoma,
This is one of the known complications following septoplasty procedures (although,is a rare complication).This can result in deformity of the nose later on.
The other possibility is swelling of the turbinates (again caused by self-innflicted trauma).Both of these are capable of narrowing the nasal cavity acutely to cause a sensation of nasal blockade.
Please consult your ENT surgeon as soon as possible.Earlier, the better.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us