Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Tiny lump on back

JSAL - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 pm

I recently discovered a small lump on my back. It's about the size of a pea and is about an inch away from my spine in my midback. It does not hurt. What could this be
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Assuming that your description is correct and the lesion is a lump, not a growth above the skin, it is most likely to be an epidermoid cyst or a lipoma.

An epidermoid cyst (EC) is the most common skin cyst and occurs in young to middle-aged adults. It is also known as a sebaceous cyst and can sometimes be mistaken for a lipoma. EC occurs commonly on the face, neck, upper trunk and scrotum, while lipomas occur mostly on the neck, trunk and limbs.

Lipomas are soft, rounded and movable against the overlying skin; epidermoid cysts are firmer and not mobile against the overlying skin. Both conditions are benign, but epidermoid cysts are prone to rupture, which is then associated with some pain.

A doctor's examination is necessary to confirm diagnosis.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine