Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Tiny lump on back

JSAL - Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:00 pm

I recently discovered a small lump on my back. It's about the size of a pea and is about an inch away from my spine in my midback. It does not hurt. What could this be
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Assuming that your description is correct and the lesion is a lump, not a growth above the skin, it is most likely to be an epidermoid cyst or a lipoma.

An epidermoid cyst (EC) is the most common skin cyst and occurs in young to middle-aged adults. It is also known as a sebaceous cyst and can sometimes be mistaken for a lipoma. EC occurs commonly on the face, neck, upper trunk and scrotum, while lipomas occur mostly on the neck, trunk and limbs.

Lipomas are soft, rounded and movable against the overlying skin; epidermoid cysts are firmer and not mobile against the overlying skin. Both conditions are benign, but epidermoid cysts are prone to rupture, which is then associated with some pain.

A doctor's examination is necessary to confirm diagnosis.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us