Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Surgery while Pregnant

kebler4444 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:01 am

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and was recently told that I have a mass by or on (they don't know which) my right ovary. They don't know if it is cancerous or not and said it is up to me if I want to have it removed. I had an ultrasound last week and they said the mass is a little smaller than an orange. My blood work reveals that my cancer leaves look good, but my Hcg levels are continuing to be higher than the doctors would like (At 8 weeks they were 130,000 and and 9 weeks they were 156,000).

I've been wondering what the risk would be for the baby, but am not getting any straight answers. Everyone says it's possible that I might lose the baby, but I'm not clear as to how possible that is. Is it like a 5% chance of hurting the baby or more like 80% chance? They are wanting to operate when I am 12 weeks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

As i am a recent entrant to Doctors lounge, this reply is too belated for you as you were 10 weeks into pregnancy in april 2009 when you had this query.
Each year, over 75,000 pregnant women in the United States of america undergo nonobstetric surgery.The indications are varied - some related to pregnancy in some way and others none.
When necessary, surgery may be performed during pregnancy with maternal safety.
Potential adverse effects for the fetus include
spontaneous abortion (maximal in 1st trimester)
preterm delivery (maximal in 3rd trimester)
intrauterine growth restriction (anytime in pregnancy)
Your obstetrician was right in suggesting surgery at 12 weeks.I assume the cyst was a 'complex' cyst on USG.
Neonatal mortality is 90% at 25 weeks' gestation and drops to less than 15% by
week 30.
How are you? What is the latest? Please let me know.