Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Epigastric Hernia Repair

raesol23 - Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm a 19 year old female who had an epigastric hernia repaired on April 2. The hernia was very small and was repaired with only stitches, no patch. Prior to the surgery I weightlifted and ran at least 4 day/week. Four weeks after the surgery, I started exercising again. Mainly running, but I did start weight lifting 3 times/week. Light weights, and only exercises that don't put strain on my stomach. This morning, I may have done a little too much. I am careful to monitor how much weight I am lifting and adjust until I feel okay (generally, I try to lift light weights, high # of repetitions versus lifting heavy weights, moderate # of repetitions as I did before the surgery). However, I think I might have added to much weight. A few hours later, the area of my hernia hurts. It's not excruciating, just dull and constant, like the way the hernia hurt prior to the surgery. I know it's not anything I ate (I had a veggie salad and fruit salad for lunch) so I'm assuming it's the hernia. Is it possible that I've pushed through the stitches? Is there anyway to be sure before I see my doctor? I'm schedule for my 8-week followup on May 21, should I see her sooner?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I appreciate your concern.Recurrences following an epigastric hernia repair are mostly not true recurrences but missed additional small epigastric herniae. But in case you want to put your mind to rest, get an ultrasound examination done and a good sonologist will be able to sort out pretty easily.