Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hole in c section scar 6 weeks after emergency surgery

 advent - Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:55 am

Hi, Im 18 years old and have recently had a c section 6 weeks ago, i had dissolveable stiches in my wound and now i have a hole like an open sore in the actual scar looks like its spliting and is also weeping a little ..What would you advise i have had a course of antibiotics and now use cream from my gp but there is no improvement in the hole healing..

Hope you can Help Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 am

User avatar Hi advent,
Did you return to the gynecologist/obstetrician that performed the c-section? If you have not I would strongly suggest that you do so. Diagnostic studies could be completed on the area that is weeping to ascertain if an underlying infection is present. Typically if an incision is infected the area will be red, warm to touch and the drainage would be purulent (appearing like pus). If the area you are referring to is still causing concern I would suggest that you return to your specialist. Best wishes!
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 am

User avatar Hi advent,
Went through the history provided by you,it appears that you have a localised,supeficial SSI(surgical site infection).The best course of action would be
to return to your specialist for a review (who would perhaps take a wound swab for culture and sensitivity and start you on a course of antibiotic therapy & dress the wound). In case that is not feasible, next choice would be to consult another obstetrician.For a wound that is weeping,creams or ointments may not be suitable. Regular wound dressings(absorbent) would be a better choice.Hope the sore will heal soon & i wish you luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us