Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: tiny hard lump on neck

nephilim78 - Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Recently I had a bout of bronchitis (so recent in fact I still have a couple more days of taking the doxycycline left) I was coughing so hard that the right side of my neck started to hurt. it also hrt when I would bend over or move. I figured it was probably a swollen lymph node. My doctor didn't seem concerned about it.

Recently, however, I noticed a small hard imoveable pea-sized bump under the skin about an inch up from where my neck joins the shoulder. It doesn't hurt to touch, although that side of my neck does ache a bit. Beyond the bronchitis the only other symptoms I've had are basic stuffy cold related issues. nothing serious at all. I'm curious, is it a lymph node?, a knot, something normal that I never noticed before? a lingering swelling from the bronchitis?
 trasern - Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:37 am

I understand your concern. As long as you did have it checked by a doctor and he didnt seem concerned, try not to. I, too, have a pea sized hard, immobile lump on the side of my neck. It is a lymph gland, that is blocked. Nothing to be concerned over. I have had it for several years now. No other areas, just that one. I do check it from time to time, to make sure it has not gotten larger.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us