Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: tiny hard lump on neck

nephilim78 - Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Recently I had a bout of bronchitis (so recent in fact I still have a couple more days of taking the doxycycline left) I was coughing so hard that the right side of my neck started to hurt. it also hrt when I would bend over or move. I figured it was probably a swollen lymph node. My doctor didn't seem concerned about it.

Recently, however, I noticed a small hard imoveable pea-sized bump under the skin about an inch up from where my neck joins the shoulder. It doesn't hurt to touch, although that side of my neck does ache a bit. Beyond the bronchitis the only other symptoms I've had are basic stuffy cold related issues. nothing serious at all. I'm curious, is it a lymph node?, a knot, something normal that I never noticed before? a lingering swelling from the bronchitis?
 trasern - Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:37 am

I understand your concern. As long as you did have it checked by a doctor and he didnt seem concerned, try not to. I, too, have a pea sized hard, immobile lump on the side of my neck. It is a lymph gland, that is blocked. Nothing to be concerned over. I have had it for several years now. No other areas, just that one. I do check it from time to time, to make sure it has not gotten larger.