Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Abnormal findings during exploratory laproscopy

lonestar61 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 pm

I had an exploratory laproscopy last week in which they removed a 5 inch long Meckel's diverticulum along with my appendix which was twice the normal size. During the surgery, they found that my intestines were attached to my hip bone. It was not adhesions because I've never had surgery there and the surgeon told me that they were not adhesions. I'm wondering if there is a name for this condition, which none of the doctors on my case which included a urologist, a GYN, a general physician, and a surgeon, had ever seen this.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 am

User avatar Hi lonestar61,
I am not aware of any band which connects intestines to the hip bone.
One possibility is certain congenital bands (for example Ladd's bands). This band usually connect the cecum to the parietal peritoneum (outer layer of peritoneum) in the vicinity of the hip bone. They are not post operative adhesions but congenital.
I guess that is what your doctor probably meant.Best wishes!