Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Minor surgery and Smoking

jisgore - Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Im a smoker and i had a surgery on sunday to remove my appendix. Can smoking these days while im recovering be worst than usual smoking?. Im under a lot of stress, this is the first time i had surgery and im in pain and i could really use a cigarette to calm my self down. But i wanted to know first how could affect me?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Smoking adversely affects wound healing in a number of ways. Some of the important adverse effects of smoking are as follows...

- smoking increases the carbon monoxide levels in the blood and thereby decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
- Smoking increases chances of surgical site infection(SSI)
- Often many plastic surgeons will not perform free tissue transfers in active smokers because of the concerns of poor wound healing.
- Smoking increases stresses on the surgical wound as a result of coughing and breathing problems.Risk of pneumonia is higher.
- Smoking reduces the levels of Vitamin C, which is essential in wound healing
- Because of all the above complications, hospital stay & overall costs of treatment increases.

Therefore it is best to avoid smoking in a peri-operative situation.
Good luck!