Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Minor surgery and Smoking

jisgore - Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Im a smoker and i had a surgery on sunday to remove my appendix. Can smoking these days while im recovering be worst than usual smoking?. Im under a lot of stress, this is the first time i had surgery and im in pain and i could really use a cigarette to calm my self down. But i wanted to know first how could affect me?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm

User avatar Hi,
Smoking adversely affects wound healing in a number of ways. Some of the important adverse effects of smoking are as follows...

- smoking increases the carbon monoxide levels in the blood and thereby decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
- Smoking increases chances of surgical site infection(SSI)
- Often many plastic surgeons will not perform free tissue transfers in active smokers because of the concerns of poor wound healing.
- Smoking increases stresses on the surgical wound as a result of coughing and breathing problems.Risk of pneumonia is higher.
- Smoking reduces the levels of Vitamin C, which is essential in wound healing
- Because of all the above complications, hospital stay & overall costs of treatment increases.

Therefore it is best to avoid smoking in a peri-operative situation.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us