Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: below knee amputation

Jerry Lee - Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:01 pm

I am diabetic to start with. Lost all circulation in left leg. After aortobifemoral bypass had to amputate leg below knee. Now 1/3 of stump is not healing properly. It pulled staples apart and is trying to heal in bottom of wound. Is skin graft possible? What abuot cauterisation?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Dear Jerry Lee,
I am sorry to hear about your leg. skin graft is possible . cauterization if it's bleeding.
The key to better healing in your condition is to monitor your blood sugar properly...and to kep it dry and clean.

Surgery and stress elevate the blood sugar levels...so you should check it out...did they give you insulin infusions before and after the operation?! what type of diabetes do u have?