Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: stitches and packaging below tailbone

crazylove - Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Yesterday I got stitches and packaging below my tailbone on my anal from a cyst. I waited 24 hours to take a shower. I was gentle, and tried not to get much water there. Now the packaging is coming out. Is this normal?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:34 pm

I believe you are referring to either a drainage of a pilonidal abscess or a peri-anal abscess(or even an excision of a pilonidal sinus).

In any case, if a pack had been placed, it will be removed and a fresh one may be applied generally during the next dressing change and the protocols for this vary from surgeon to surgeon and between various hospitals.

It will be best for you to contact your surgeon or the hospital for guidance.