Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Inguinal hernia

 castanza - Fri May 06, 2005 12:55 pm

Could an inguinal hernia cause pain clear up to/near the gall bladder area? Not radiated pain, but actual pain and tenderness in that area? And would having one always mean it's possible to find some kind of lump or bump somewhere, even if tiny?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri May 06, 2005 7:49 pm

User avatar An inguinal hernia is a lump or bulge in the groin area. It would not be causing pain around the gall bladder.
 castanza - Fri May 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Similar question - could a pleurisy or pleural effusion cause pain and tenderness near the gall bladder/liver? Basically constant pain that runs down the bottom edge of my ribs on right side.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 12:24 pm

User avatar Possible pleurisy but rarely on one side and can be made worse by breathing in deeply. How long have you had pain? If a short time, it could be gallstones, or if longer, cirrhosis if you are an alcoholic. It could be musculoskeletal if you lift weights or lifted in the wrong position and continue to do it afterward, not letting it heal - too many possibilities. You really don't want to mess around with pain in that area, it can be serious.
 castanza - Sat May 07, 2005 12:46 pm

3 weeks. Tests, scans, ultrasounds all normal. I go see a GI tomorrow. Ironically this is the first day it's actually hurt a little less than it has. Cirrhosis would show up on an CT scan and/or ultrasound right? I'm 33, and have had my share of coor's light in my life, but never any hard alchohol or wine. (??)
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 8:18 pm

User avatar I assume tests means blood work - did they do a liver panel?

I'm almost sure it's not cirrhosis; you would have to be a very heavy long time drinker.

I am surprised no scans, sonos, CTs have shown anything. By "scans" have you had an MRI? CTs are for soft tissue; MRI is for skeleton/cartiledge.

Are you sure you didn't lift anything the wrong way? You usually won't feel anything right away unless it's a more severe injury, so it can be difficult to correlate.

I would be interested to know what tthe GI finds, if anything. Good luck.
 castanza - Mon May 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Finally got an endoscopy scheduled (like that's something to get excited about). Then I'm told I may have to eat a radio-active egg salad sandwich and be x-rayed. Ulcer seems to be supposed culprit once again. Seems weird that nothing I eat makes it worse and in most cases better! Then over the weekend a few lymph nodes on my neck inflated and hurt like heck, all the way up into my jaw and even molar...what the heck?!?

(and yes, liver, panceas, gallbladder, kidneys, UA, CT and ultrasound.. all normal. No MRI though)
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

User avatar Is it a sharp pain or a burning pain. It doesn't sound like an ulcer, the stomach is in the middle just below the sternum and is a burning pain. There are myriads of foods that trigger it. Have you had a colonoscopy? Part of the large intestine goes up the right side, across and down the left side where it ends. Any trouble with constipation or diarrhea?

Are you SURE it's not musculoskeletal. If it's a slight strain (a strain would be extremely painful), it really won't show on an MRI, because no tissue is actually damaged.

Does it hurt all the time? Can you make it worse by certain positions or deep breathing in? If so, it's musclosketal. Try taking ibuprofen like I said every 6 hours for a few days (don't miss any doses). If it gets any better, I'm almost positive that's it.
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:08 pm

as long as you haven't just gotten done with heavy exercise or something and got a stitch from it.................I feel the same as you castanza. same pain and occurance as you say. Have had ultrasound for liver gallbladder, blood work, check xray, abdominal to lower chest CT scan, and colonoscopy. No for sure answers yet but ct scan shows hyperexpanded lungs......I do have some chest pain but not like the constant dragging and annoying pain on lower right rip cage front to back area. Tried celebrex for anti inflamatory, Albuterol inhalers for asthma......still have the right side pain. shouldn't be a stitch if constantly there right? what about Pleurisy? What about collapsed lower lung........or maybe the hyperexpanded lung is pushing on the lower abdominal wall and also putting pressure on liver. Now, I have my beer too, but I'm only 28.....don't drink hard alcohol. cirrhosis out?, liver size came up normal on ct scan. I think its pleurisy, but damn doctor just prescribed the inhaler again. I have been a smoker......and no haven't officially stopped so then the pain must be blamed on smoking right? other smokers don't have this pain......not at 28. I've stopped smoking before for 3 months.....pain still there but actually was lessened. eating food actually does make it better. Gastritis?(sp) I think expanded lung, causing pleurisy......lupus? I'm so sick of it by now, over 2 years of feeling the pain, hasn't really gotten awhole lot worse and not better. Any thoughts by anyone? maybe it is musclosketal
 castanza - Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:50 pm

I know what you're going through. I've been fine for months but never got a clear diagnosis. The last step in a long chain of every test on the planet was an endoscopy. The thought was that I had gastritis. I took Nexium for a month or so and slowly it went away, but I'm nearly positive that wasn't it. See, along with everything else I apparently had a urinary tract infection. A urologist was finally the doctor who gave me antibiotics (for that) and two weeks later the abdominal pain went away. I also got back to having normal BM's. To this day I'm convinced I had some kind of intestinal infection and it took a urologist to give me antiobiotics (no one else would) for something totally different. Hope this helps in some way.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us