Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lump on chin

camara - Fri May 06, 2005 9:15 pm

Hello, 2 days ago i noticed I developed a marble sized lump right in the middle of my jaw bone - where my chin meets my neck. It's not noticable on view, but when i press there I can feel a roundish lump. It doesnt hurt, but if i press it hard then it feels tender. I don't know why it is there, or what it may be?

Can you help?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 9:29 am

User avatar Is it colored at all? Where the jawbone meets the neck is a common place for certain types of acne, if it becomes tender or sore and discolored, a pale pink or purple, it is probably a pimple, or a sebaceous cyst. If it's a pimple, it is a small infection - you can get a shot of cortisone to take down the inflammation and take a short course of antibiotics to heal the infection. A sebaceous cyst usually requires surgical removal (no big deal, a little novocaine in the cyst and it's done right in the doctor's office).
 camara - Sat May 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Hello there, thank you for your response,

No it it not coloured, you cant even see it at all as its so deep - I only knew it was there because i can feel it with my fingers.
I don't think it is a pimple as I have had these before and know what they feel and look like. This one does seem to be something different - almost like a swollen gland type feeling. But it isnt on the sides of my throat/chin - its right in the middle about two inches up from where my adams apple is. Does this help explain anymore what it could be?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 07, 2005 8:09 pm

User avatar In that case, you really should get it looked at; strange lumps/growths should not be let go. Better safe than sorry, hon.
 camara - Sun May 08, 2005 9:41 am

Thank you again, I will in that case be checking it out tomorrow - hope its nothing too serious!
 missgde - Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 pm

hi, doubt you'll still check this, but i'm curious, i have the exact same issue, its almost like i wrote you message..haha everyone kept trying to tell me it was a pimple too, and I kept saying nooo! Anyway, i'm just curious to know what it ended up being? Thanks.
 MrKnifeGuy - Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:27 am

Hi, im a little late to this. I have the same problem. I was just wondering if any of you have had them checked out yet?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us