Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lump on sublingual gland area

vampsangel - Mon May 16, 2005 5:15 pm

I am a 26 year old female. About 10 days ago i was eating a hotdog and when i swallowed it, it burned my right tonsil area, which began to swell up. Then I noticed that a lump had also appeared under my tongue. Everytime I eat, the lump under my tongue swells up, and my right tonsil area burns and swells as well. It almost feels like the food is getting stuck. A few minutes after I eat... the swelling goes down a little, but the lump is still there, and there is this feeling that I have something stuck in my throat. I have been rinsing with Listerine and salt water for the entirety of this irritating problem. It has not helped. I am a smoker so, of course, the whole worry of oral cancer is on my mind. Is there anything else this can be? And should I go to an ENT or just to the ER? I'd really like to get rid of this thing.
 vampsangel - Tue May 17, 2005 1:17 pm

OK...update. I looked in the mirror this morning at my tonsil. Now there appears to be a reddish purple bump on it. I suppose this is what is hurting when I swallow food. It almost looks like a small blood blister. Everytime something irritates it... the lump under my tongue swells up. Someone please fill me in on what this is.
 crissy71880 - Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:26 am

Sorry to bring up an apparently dead topic but I was wondering if this girl found out anything or if anyone else knows anything about what she had/has. It sounds exactly like what I have. The dentist said it was a blocked salivary gland... right after he said he's never seen anything like it before... very reassuring.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us