Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lump on sublingual gland area

vampsangel - Mon May 16, 2005 5:15 pm

I am a 26 year old female. About 10 days ago i was eating a hotdog and when i swallowed it, it burned my right tonsil area, which began to swell up. Then I noticed that a lump had also appeared under my tongue. Everytime I eat, the lump under my tongue swells up, and my right tonsil area burns and swells as well. It almost feels like the food is getting stuck. A few minutes after I eat... the swelling goes down a little, but the lump is still there, and there is this feeling that I have something stuck in my throat. I have been rinsing with Listerine and salt water for the entirety of this irritating problem. It has not helped. I am a smoker so, of course, the whole worry of oral cancer is on my mind. Is there anything else this can be? And should I go to an ENT or just to the ER? I'd really like to get rid of this thing.
 vampsangel - Tue May 17, 2005 1:17 pm

OK...update. I looked in the mirror this morning at my tonsil. Now there appears to be a reddish purple bump on it. I suppose this is what is hurting when I swallow food. It almost looks like a small blood blister. Everytime something irritates it... the lump under my tongue swells up. Someone please fill me in on what this is.
 crissy71880 - Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:26 am

Sorry to bring up an apparently dead topic but I was wondering if this girl found out anything or if anyone else knows anything about what she had/has. It sounds exactly like what I have. The dentist said it was a blocked salivary gland... right after he said he's never seen anything like it before... very reassuring.