Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics


 Kimberly1975 - Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:16 pm

About 3 years ago I was struck in the eye by my abusive ex-boyfriend...I had a broken eye socket(blown orbit) and could not see correctly because of it. I was refered to an ear,nose and throat specialist and he preformed my surgery to correct it. Just recently I was refered back to him because of constant sinus infections in the same side of my face the surgery was preformed on. He reviewed my ct scan and stuck a medal rod up my nose and told me the problem was that he had to cut a hole on the inside of my nose straight into my sinus cavity so that he could pack it with gauze after the surgery and apparently it never grew shut after surgery. Also he noticed on my scan that their were still bone fragmentsfrom my nose that he was to have removed when he did the surgery. Also I have a diffused question is did he do something wrong, for me to be haveing all of these problems?? He gave me a prescription for flonase and wanted to see me back to discuss haveing rhinoplasty done!! I haven't been back to see him, and truthfully am wondering if there was some sort of malpractice. I am currently looking for another specialist to go to, but I am scared. Also I have been in constant pain bacause of these infections and have slight nerve damage to my teeth and cheek and there anything I can do about this...should I just go to another doctor and forget about the previous mistakes or should I contact someone about this MAYBE malpractice, and if so WHO should I contact!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! I am totally confused here...THANK YOU :D .....Kim[/b]
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:35 pm

User avatar Hello Kimberly!

I read your message, and shame on all abusive ex-boyfriends who treat women like their shoes!

Firstly, regarding the surgery you had for your blown orbit, did you sign a consent form and did the form contain sinus infection as an acceptable complication of the surgery? Antral puncture is the name of the procedure of cutting a hole on the inside of the sinus, and the hole is never meant to get shut after the surgery, to the best of my knowledge. Bone fragments remaining behind could happen with any surgeon, and a deviated nasal septum does not need a blown orbit to make happen.

If anyone did anything wrong, for you to be having all these problems, I wouldn't mind putting the blame squarely on your ex-boyfriend rather than the doctor who tried to help you.

My advice to you are three:
1. Openness
2. Honesty
3. Hope

Be open and honest with your own doctor as to how you feel about everything, and hope for the best. These are cardinal virtues I would suggest to every doctor towards their patients, but once in a while these virtues can be taken up by the patients themselves towards their doctors. But even after all your candor, if you feel justice has not been done, you can consult the legal profession to help you out, i.e., if you have not already been in touch with them regarding your ex-boyfriend. :)

I hope this helps,



| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us