Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Title Meanings

 ryjb - Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 pm

I know this may seem foolish to ask this but I need to know.
What do the titles on the end of doctors names mean for example John Smith MD
What do these mean?


 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:52 am

User avatar Hi ryjb,
Certainly not foolish at all :)
MD (Medical Doctor/doctor's degree in medicine)
DO (Doctor of Osteopathy/doctors degree in osteopathy)
DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine)
DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
PC (?)
Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy)
FACP (Fellow of the American College of Physicians)
 yohan - Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Hello. I have some similar questions. What, then, are the titles if a doctor specializes in oncology and pediatrics? thanks!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us