Medical Specialty >> Surgery

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/19/2017.

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: lung nodule

delady - Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi,
13 months ago, the dr. found a lung nodule during an xray for some bruised ribs. Since then, I have had follow-up ct scans done every 3 months. There has not been any growth or change in the nodule until now: March '05 scan showed the nodule to be 9.9 x 6.7mm in density, 12.9mm in length, 9.4mm in width, and 11.9mm in depth. The volume then was 352mm3. My current scans shows density to be 12.2 x 8.3mm, 16.6mm in length, 11.0mm width, and 13.1mm in depth. The volume is now 482.3mm.
My questions are: Are these changes enough to be more than normal concerned? With these changes, should I have the nodule removed and biopsied or could this wait another 3 months. I also have a small enlarged lymph node in the upper mediastinum that measures 6.7mm in diameter. My dr. has explained that he can't say if the nodule is cancer or not, yet I had a pet scan that was negative 3 months ago. He has suggested I make the decision whether to wait and see or have surgery. I don't want to have surgery if these changes don't warrant it. It's hard to get him to say what I should do but he did say that if I waited and the next ct scan shows ANY, slight or not, changes from this one I will need the surgery. I am 50 years old and smoked about 2 packs a day for 35 years.
Thank you so much for any adivce you can give me.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:56 pm

User avatar Hi delady, if you are over 40yo, have a smoking history, and a pulmonary nodule that wasn't there 2 years ago (or there's no way to prove it) and if you found an enlargement of the nodule, you should have it removed.
To be (almost) sure that a SPN is benign you should have no evidence of growth after 2 years of follow-up.
Other options are PET scan or percutaneous needle biopsy (for small nodules the accuracy depends on the skill of the radiologist).

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us