Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Penile Curvature and intercourse pain

Ademan - Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:14 am

I'm 18 years old and i have penile curvature. My girlfriend experiences (what appears to be) excruciating pain whenever i enter her, and during intercourse. I experience no such pain however. I don't believe my curvature is bad at all, maybe 15 degrees to the left when erect, (but 30 when limp). I was wondering what factors could contribute to her pain, and most importantly, if it could be my penile curvature. (also consider the case that i cant estimate angles and my curvature is far worse than what i described, what then?)

thanks a lot, i appreciate it
-Dan
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:40 am

User avatar Hello,

Dyspareunia refers to sexual dysfunction manifested as painful or difficult sexual intercourse. Although this problem can affect men, it is more common in women. For women, the genital pain can occur with penetration or during or after intercourse. True dyspareunia is recurrent and associated with a disruption of normal sexual functioning.

Women may have pain in the vagina, clitoris or labia. Women with dyspareunia may feel superficial pain at the entrance of the vagina, or deeper pain during penetration or thrusting of the penis. Some women also may experience severe tightening of the vaginal muscles during penetration, a condition called vaginismus.

Pain at introitus with penile entry is commonly caused by vaginal dryness and atrophic vaginitis (eg, due to menopause); side effects of drugs such as antihistamines and tamoxifen and endometriosis. It can also result from an allergic reaction to clothing, spermicides or douches. Vulvar vestibulitis which is an inflammation of the area surrounding the vaginal opening or skin diseases affecting the vaginal area (eg, lichen planus and lichen sclerosis) can cause severe genital pain. Urinary tract infections, vaginal yeast infections, or sexually transmitted diseases can also lead to dyspareunia. Finally, psychological trauma, often stemming from a past history of sexual abuse or trauma.

Pain with deep penetration can be caused by several conditions including diseases of the bowel (eg, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome). This may be associated with bowel symptoms. Other causes include chronic pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, enlarged uterus from myoma or adenomyosis; fixed retroverted uterus and inadequate sexual arousal. Pelvic conditions can also result in pain with deep penetration, this can result from pelvic masses or pelvic relaxation.

I do not think it is related to the curvature of your penis.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us