Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Penis Ulcers, NOT a STD

Surfio - Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:11 pm

Ok i have had this for about 3 months, im 18 and havent had sex yet, i even got it tested a the clinic, came back negative. Im thinking its bacterial or fungal, i must of got it from a toilet, i know it sounds stupid but im pretty sure of it. The ulcers surface just under the head, and in a line down the urethra line, but stops halfway where i got circumsized. They heal up, when i havent touched it or washed it, but the marks are still there and reopen sometimes. mabye my pee is creating the ulcers? is there a natural remedy? i don't wana go back and Have to do it again and again. please help
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Genital ulceration may be due to infective or non-infective causes. Infective causes are sexually transmitted and include syphilis, chancroid, genital herpes, LGV and granuloma inguinale.

As you have had no sexual exposure, it must be assumed that your recurrent genital ulceration is due to non-infective causes. However, a repeat test for HSV 1 and 2 at the next outbreak is advisable.

Trauma, Behcet's disease, Stevens-Johnson syndrome and carcinoma are non-infective causes of genital ulceration. In your case, carcinoma is excluded because the ulcers are not persistent, not growing larger and tend to heal on their own but recur intermittently at the same site.

Traumatic genital ulcers may be caused by vigorous manipulation of the penile organ, such as in prolonged and repetitive acts of masturbation, which is not admitted. A common site is the frenulum of the penis, which is the site you are attempting to describe. Behcet's disease is usually accompanied by mouth ulcers. Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a hypersensitivity of acute onset, frequently caused by infection or certain drugs and may occasionally cause genital ulcers, mouth ulcers and a conjunctivitis.

At the next outbreak of these ulcers, please get examined by a genitourinary physician for diagnosis and reassurance.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 funkymunky - Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:51 am

I've had almost the same exact symptom, right after swimming in the ocean. Could it be caused by salt water and drying against trunks? I'm circumcised, so I wondered if that was a contributing factor as well. It heals up after a day or two, and only occurs after I swim in the ocean (which has only been a couple times in the last decade).

Is there a way to possibly prevent it next time?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:57 am

At the next occurrence, get the ulcer examined by a genitourinary physician from Day 1 to determine the aetiology. Since this genital ulcer is provoked by swimming in the ocean, it may be assumed that trauma or some constituent of ocean water is responsible.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us