Question: Penile injury causing ED?

johnsmith1790 - Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:33 pm

I am a male in my early - mid 30s. I apologize for the length of this post, but the circumstances are a bit odd (in my opinion).

On Thankksgiving day (about 10 days ago), I was using the restroom where I had some trouble with a fuzzy toilet seat cover and a slippery bath rug. While attempting to use the restroom, I wound up wrestling with the toleit seat cover and seat (keeping them up and not urinating all of ther place). My shaft of penis was about half way out my zipper (levis) when I began losing the battle. I stopped urinating and held it. My penis began to get partially erect (it wasnt fully flacid). my foot slipped on the bath rug and that action caused me to apply a downward pressure on my penis against the bottom of the zipper (the bottom of my penis was in contact with the bottom of the zipper). There was a sharp pain which seemed like maybe the urine expanding in my urethra by the force of the downward pressure on the bottom of my penis. Also, there was some pain in the bottom of my penis where it was in contact with the zipper.

No external abrasions were noticed, but I did have a small amount of blood in my urine. I did not notice any blood in my urine when I went to the restroom later that evening but there were some drops of blood in my underwear.

Since that episode, I have seen a nurse practitioner who examined me and tested my urine for blood (negative). Her examination was normal (no bruising, swelling, or abrasions), but she refered me to a urologist because I am now experiencing some erectile dysfunction. That is, my erections are not as firm as normal, particularly in the head of the penis nor do they maintain themselves. I have been able to have sex and ejaculate, but again there is some delay in obtaining and trouble maintaining an erection throughout the session. Ejaculation is relatively pain free, however, afterwards I do feel some slight discomfort for a brief time. Urination is pain free. Also, the mid part of my penis (where most of the pressure was applied when it was in contact with the zipper) sometimes has a slight "burning/heat" sensation.

I scheduled an appointment with the urologist who first available appointment is in mid January. I am concerned that whatever injury I may have will have healed by the time I see the urologist and consequently, may not heal properly. Is this a valid concern?

I am not sure if this injury is even something that is particularly serious and maybe everything will return to normal once whatever was injured heals, but it is disconcerting. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Should I push to be seen sooner? My instincts tell me yes. If so, how do I convey this urgency to the medical assistant booking the appointment (she didnt seem to be particularly moved by story when I first told her).

Thank you for you time
 johnsmith1790 - Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:57 pm

I should also note that my penis is sometimes sore or achy...its mild and is not always persistent. I have also noticed what appears to be a very faint hourglass like shape, almost as if there is an invisible rubber band around the area of the injury. I noticed it while showering yesterday and today.

My penis also doesnt "feel right." that is, its not numb, but it does feel more like a piece of flesh when flacid...the sensation is odd and noticably different.