Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Rule out HSV as the cause of UTI

h0axpunkstar - Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 am

Hi,

I haven't had a UTI in nearly 8 years. 2 weeks ago I began experiencing pain with urination and a constant need to urinate with little urine actually being passed. I bagan drinking cranberry juice, beer, and water immediately. This eased the symptoms for a day or so until I could get to the doctor. He prescribed a 7 day course of Cipro, which I completed last Wednesday..7 days ago. 4 days ago, I awoke with symptoms once again...the uncomfy pressure, dark urine, and small amount even when I felt like I would burst if I didn't use the restroom immediately. This improved once again after drinking 2 or 3 beers. I have experienced the symptoms again this morning. I have called my dr and told the nurse that I need a stronger antibiotic. It will be ready later this afternoon. My question is: How can I rule out HSV2 as a cause of this UTI? 4 months ago, I had the first symptoms of HSV2 since testing positive for antibodies in 1999. I have had problems off and on since then and am currently taking 250mg of Famvir twice daily. Because of all the issues I've had, I am very worried that HSV could also be the cause of this. In order to put these worries to rest...or confirm them - Is there any true way to know that this is not HSV related infection?
Are there specific bacteria that will show positive? The doctor said I had a few white blood cells in the urine sample 2 weeks ago. He made a comment that there were "a few", which makes me think it's not the normal load you would suspect for a UTI. Could that have been due to the large amount of fluids I was consuming?

Thank you for any input!
 h0axpunkstar - Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 am

Just an update. I took another 7 day course of antibiotics. This time it was Levaquin. I finished them up 2 nights ago, and all seems well. I'm still curious to know if there is a way to rule out HSV as a cause, if only to put my mind at ease. By the way, I did still have slight symptoms 4 days into the meds.

Thanks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us