Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Hematospermia

Joe S. - Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:15 pm

For the last 3 years I have had bouts of hematospermia (blood in the ejaculate). The most recent and still occurring has been ongoing since September. I've had a prostate exam, taken antibiotics, and underwent a cystoscope. The digital exam showed that the prostate was enlarged. The cystoscope showed nothing abnormal. The antibiotics worked for a short time, but the symptoms returned.

I'm wondering how serious this is, if serious at all. Shoul I just continue on antibiotics, or should I get a PSA test? As far as I know, there is no family history of prostate problems. But I suppose a history has to have a beginning.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Please state your age and ethnicity. Also, please indicate if you have suffered from, or received treatment for any sexually transmitted disease and/or complications, such as prostatitis.

Prostate cancer generally affects men over the age of 50, and is rarely found in men under that age. If you are in that age group, a PSA test would be indicated.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us