Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: symptoms only at night?

cmatijevich - Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:10 pm

For the past 4 nights i have been having lower back pain on the left side, very bad lower abdominal pain and frequent urination. I have some abdominal pain also in the afternoon and then the other symptoms start. The frequent urination isnt like a bladder infection where you feel like you have to go and just a little comes out...i feel like i have to go and a normal amount comes out...but i have to get up at night like 5-6 times. Help!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:20 am

User avatar Nocturia is defined as the need to get up at least 2x or more per night.

Neurogenic bladder (overactive bladder), UTI's, and chronic cystitis have to be ruled out. There are other conditions that cause the symptoms of frequent and night time urination including endocrine disorders (for example, diabetes, diabetes insipidus).

Drinking too much fluid before bedtime -- particularly coffee, caffeinated beverages, or alcohol. Certain drugs such as diuretics, cardiac glycosides, demeclocycline, lithium, methoxyflurane, phenytoin, propoxyphene, and excessive vitamin D.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (common in older men) as well as chronic renal failure, congestive heart failure and obstructive sleep apnea and sometimes if you experience jet lag.

Do you have a fever? The presence of flank pain in addition to the frequency may be a sign of kidney infection. Otherwise it could be any of the above. One common cause is overactive bladder.

Please have it checked out.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us