Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: burning and blood when urinating

Jaymz - Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:54 am

hey guys and gals... I'm a 22 year old male, sexually active (unprotected) with only 1 partner and we both have never been with anyone else... I have just recently (last 24 hours) started experiencing a burning sensation in the tip of my penis right at the end when i have just about finished urinating, almost to the point where i stop urinating because it hurts so much :( anyways i realised this afternoon that when i tried to force that little bit that was left, out, my urine turned a pinkish colour like if it had blood in it... i am just waiting now till i have to go to the toilet again to see if it happend again... any help would be muchly apprechiated :) Thanks in advance!!!!
 Marauder - Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:19 am

Might be a UTI well that's my guess so go see the doc asap.
 Jaymz - Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 pm

just a quick update... i have been to the toilet twice since then and no sign of blood but i still get the burning sensation just as im about to finish... seeing as it is nearly christmas i wont be able to see my GP till early next year... Any ideas? Oh and thanx for the quick reply Marauder, thats exactly what i was thinking... Also something i forgot to metion earlyier is that i have been really sick with a cold this week and the day i started to get the burning sensation i was 'dry reaching' (throwing up but nothing coming up) most of the day... could this have caused it?
 Jaymz - Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:04 pm

i have also just realised that when im NOT urinating that inside my penis (where it burns when urinating) seems to be slightly itchy.... Not sure if that helps??? :?
 Marauder - Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Yeah I would still say it's a UTI, Can't you go to like an after hours clinic?
Drink cranberry juice don’t go overboard with it just a couple of cups a day might help the discomfort a bit, keep dinking water like 5 cups a day and avoid caffeine, avoid alcohol.
 Jaymz - Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:58 am

ok thanx for the quick reply again... i always drink heaps of water (at least 2L's a day) so that should keep me going... will have to go round to a couple medical centres and get checked out... so how do they check to find out what it is? do i just urinate in a cup and they test that or do they have to do a physical examination or something.... i don't think i could handle a random person touching me even if they are a doctor...
 Marauder - Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:59 am

[quote="Jaymz"so how do they check to find out what it is? do I just urinate in a cup and they test that .[/quote]

Yeah spot on.
 Jaymz - Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:58 am

ok just found out that my doc wont be able to see me till next week... 7 days time.... will it be ok to wait that long??? i really don't want to see another doctor...
 Marauder - Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:50 am

Yeah like you I could not get in to see my doctor.
Had to see one I had never had and was on one lot of antibiotics that didn’t help went back went on another that also didn’t do much.

I finished the antibiotics and it’s been 3 days and a lot of discomfort for me it stared to come back while I was still on the antibiotics.
I have to wait till tomorrow not sure if the doctors work on a boxing day holiday anyway I don’t even know if I will be able to see my doctor or go back to the one that doesn’t tell you jack just gives you some pills and that’s about it.

Yeah I don’t know it would be best if you go to a doctor ASAP I know it’s not the best and if you have one like I had to see won’t be that helpful then again you might get a good doctor who knows his or her stuff and will set you right then again I might just have some ***** that’s resiant to antibiotics and needs a different antibiotic who knows.

Ohh how I hate UTI’s well when your girlfriend/wife gets one we will know who they feel won’t we.
 Jaymz - Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:27 pm

ok i finally got to see my doc after i was bed riden with kidney pain :( doc made me urinate in a cup then gave me a 7day prescription to a drug called ALPRIM (cheaper brand here in Australia) Now 8 days later im feeling perfect :D Thanx for the help once again, really appreciated :D
 Marauder - Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:31 pm

No problem Jaymz :)
Good to hear your ok now.
I have one more day to go on my antibiotics and so far so good :) looks like my UTI is not going to come back this time :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us