Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: painless hematuria HELP!

clairebear9898 - Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:18 pm

I'm a 17 y/o female and have had blood in my urine since July. Most of the time, it's microscopic, but occasionally it will be visible, and either bright red or brown. I've had multiple urinalysis and blood tests, and nothing unsual shows up, except for the gross blood in the urine. I'm not in any pain. I'm a virgin, so it's not anything sexual related. Can you help me?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:19 am

Blood in the urine is always considered an abnormal finding.
Have you been investigated by a renal ultrasound, or cystoscopy?
A renal ultrasound would also incorporate an ultasound of the ureters and urinary bladder.
If not, that is the next step of investigation.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 clairebear9898 - Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:57 pm

I'm going in for a renal ultrasound next week, which the doctor finally decided to do after almost 6 months. He said something about an MRI, but mentioned that if everything with the ultrasound shows up normal, and since all my bloodwork showed up normal, that it's probably "joggers hematuria" that I got from running a lot over the summer. He also said that would mean that this is something that I'll be doing for the rest of my life.