Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Kidney pain

worriedmomhere - Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:18 pm

I'm a female, age 35 years. For about 1.5 months I'd been having a terrible pain on my right side. It would start every night when I'd end up sleeping on my right side (I'd fall asleep on my left side or back, but end up on my right while sleeping). After I laid on my right side, the pain was terrible! It would get better during the day, but the pain still came in waves. I'm quite sure it's not a muscle as I've pulled lots of them, and this feels different. And the pain doesn't get worse or better depending on what position I'm in - I can't get comfortable not matter how I sit or lay.

I finally went to the dr because I can't get any sleep - it is just too painful. I had blood (and other things I can't rememer) in my urine, so they thought I had a UTI based on that and my side pain. They gave me Pryidium and Bractrim. I called them back 5 days later to see about the urine culture. It was negative - there was no infection. I was still having the pain (the pain was much better while I was taking the Pyridium though). They sent me for a CT scan, which showed a small stone in my right kidney. They said it should pass on its own. It's been over 2 weeks, the stone hasn't passed, and I've still got the terrible pain in my side.

My dr was concerned because he said that a kidney stone still in the kidney should not hurt that much. I guess the pain from a stone comes when it moves and it's passed? So, now he's sending me to a urologist to see what is going on. I do have mild chronic renal insuff, but my nephrologist didn't seem too concerned about the stones.

Has anyone ever had theses symptoms? Did you find out what was causing them? Do kidney stones hurt while still in the kidney? If anyone has any experience, ideas, opinions, etc, I would love to hear them. I'm at a loss and I'm in lots of pain (they did give me vicodin to take at night, and it does help some, but I can't take it forever...I need to know what's causing it).

I would greatly appreciate ANY help you could provide.

Thanks so much.
 rcshouldis - Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 pm

I am a male and I had a kidney stone pass in June 2004. The pain was almost unbearable. I am not any kind of medical authority but I believe stones within the kidney are usually painless ( not noticed) until they break off and try to enter the ureter tube. Most stones actually enter the ureter and with great pain usually pass into the bladder. Some stones, however, are too large and cannot pass through the ureter.

I would suppose that these larger loose stones in the kidney trying to enter the ureter would be somewhat painful and would interfere with urine passage. They eventually require treatment to break them up so they could pass. I would talk with an expert because I have known people in pain who had to undergo shock waves or extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) for relief. The stone did not pass by itself because it was too large. Talk to a good doctor, preferably a Kidney specialist. Loose stones that don't pass can cause complications and much pain. I would not rule out kidney stones but I would surely check all possibilities.
 worriedmomhere - Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Thank you for your reply rcshouldis. I appreciate you taking the time to asnwer.

I'm not sure where in the kidney the stone was when they CT was done. I'm still having the same pain in the same place - only on my right side where the kidney is. They said the stone was only 2mm, which seems very small compared to other people I've talked to, and I'm surprised that it hasn't passed by now.

I'm hoping that the urologist has some answers (I see him Friday). I can't sleep well (even on the vicoden they gave me) and hope that he can offer me some relief soon.

Again, thank for your reply, and I hope that you never have to deal with kidney stones ever again!

Happy New Year!
 rcshouldis - Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:47 pm

Drink alot of fluids and keep pain pills handy.
 brookesmommy - Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:29 am

WorriedMom - I've had a small (2mm) kidney stone also in my right side since Sept. I just had another CT scan done this week, and the stone is STILL there after four months! I also have pain, mainly at night... but more specifically, in the morning, after I've been laying in one position during the night. It almost seems as if the stone gradually goes against the wall of the kidney or something at night. I don't have any great suggestions for you, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone! In the past I had another stone which I did eliminate - it was this same size, and I had to go to the ER for a morphine shot while it was actually passing. Don't hesitate when the pain becomes extreme to head to the hospital. Best wishes! Kelly