Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Very infrequent pain, urge to urinate, painful urination...

Cicatriz - Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:08 am

This has happened to me about three, maybe four, times in the last two years. I'll get a sudden and almost unbearable urge to urinate, but I won't be able to urinate easily. It feels like someone snapped my urethra shut, and is accompanied by a sharp pain just below the head of my penis. This has happened in several different cases, including immediately after I have already urinated (I'll hardly make it back to my room from the bathroom when I'll suddenly get an unbearable urge to urinate).

The first time this has happened was around two years ago, and I'm assuming it isn't an STD as I hadn't had any sexual experience at that point. It has most recently happened two or three times in the last semester. I haven't been troubled by it recently, but if it happens again I'm going to go to the campus medical center. Any advice/information is greatly appreciated, thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:53 pm

User avatar Hello,

Dysuria, urgency and frequency in the absence of a discharge, fever or flank pain all point to a cystitis (inflammation of the bladder).

I would strongly recommend that you see your doctor.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us