Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Is UTI possible from drinking too much water??

lhnnwntrs - Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Ok heres the problem. I quit smoking 4 days ago. In my quest to quit smoking I decided to drink lots of water. So for the last 4 days I have drank anywhere from 5 to 6 20oz bottles of purified water a day...something my body wasnt very used to before. Out of no where I started having that squeezing feeling in my bladder just as I finish urinating. Im not having any other symptom than this but it is highly irritating and I havent had any kind of UTI, bladder, kidney infection in years. I just thought this odd that when I started drinking the amount of water I should consume seems to have had an ill effect on me.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:13 pm

User avatar dear lhnnwntrs

hydration in fact should not lead to UTI, in fact, we ask patients who get that type of infection to drink lots of fluids including water.

urinary tract infections are usually caused by bacterium , most of the time it is E-Coli.

remember that the more you drink, the more you are going to eliminate fluids, and this might be what your body is tying to do.

however, if your symptoms become more frequent, like frequency, urgency, fever, and blood in urine...or the presence of pain...you should see your physician just to rule out any possible infection
thank you very much.
 lhnnwntrs - Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:51 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I wound up in the ER a few days after posting this with severe back and adbomen pain...actually thought it was a gall bladder attack. Turns out I had a severe kidney infection that the Dr said I probably had had for some time. Sent me home on Cipro for a week. The Dr told me that it was pure coincidence that I started having symptoms of a UTI after drinking more water than normal. I knew that in my mind but also knew it seemed thats exactly what happened after so much water consumption. Anyway thanks for your input.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:31 pm

User avatar i am glad you are ok now, thank you for your input too
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36 am

User avatar Hello lhnnwntrs,
Hope you are well by now.
Dr.R. Zein has already explained very well how increased water consumption prevents, rather than increase chances of UTI.
In your case, the following is perhaps what happened....
Increased water intake during a UTI....... leading to increased urinary frequency.....therefore increased numbers of painful urination(times you had to visit the toilet)......increased awareness of the painful experiences........leading you to attribute water intake to UTI.
I have not come across any reports of increased water intake causing UTI"s.