Question: constant (yet false) urgency - oversensitive urethra?

poodle - Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:23 pm

I'm seeing the gynecologist about this on Thursday but I don't want to wait that long for answers. I seem to have an overly irritable/oversensitive/just plain messed up urethra. Maybe it's just not quite in the right place though. Anyway, these things irritate my urethra very much: alchohol, caffeine, and SEX! During sex, I feel a strong urgency to urinate even if I had just urinated shortly beforehand. Usually, I rush to the bathroom afterwards (sometimes even call a time-out to visit the bathroom) to find that hardly any urine comes out. Then I struggle for several hours with constant but false urgency. This happened several nights ago, and it died down apparently after I took some Detrol LA (I had a very similar problem about a year ago, Detrol was sort of useless, but I took two of the leftover capsules anyway). Now the constant urgency is back for no apparent reason other than that I drank a decaf latte a few hours ago but no normal urethra would freak out about that, right? What's going on there and how is it treated? How invasive are the treatments?
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:57 am

User avatar Hi!

Sorry for the late reply. I suppose you have already been to your gynecologist by now. Was a urnialysis done? What did you find out from your visit to the doctor?

bill