Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Four UTI's in 8 months.

LouAnn - Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi. I guess I am frustrated. I have had 4 UTI's since last May 05 and the most recent one is right now. I was put on Antibiotics for them (Bactrim, Cipro, Levaquin). They go away and then come back. I was thinking that maybe I need my PCM to send me to a Urologist. All she keeps doing is testing the urine and giving me antibiotics. I think something else might be going on. My mom had bladder cancer 10 years ago and my sister has a history of kidney stones. I also have right flank pain and low back pain. Need help.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:07 pm

User avatar Dear LouAnn

4 UTIs within 8 months seems to be too frequent from a medical point.
you should ask your PCP to refer you to a urologist just to rule out any anatomical problems or the presence of kidney stones.

if everything turns out to be normal, and you continue to have them that frequent, you might be a candidate for a prophylactic antibiotic therapy, to prevent those infections.

meanwhile keep your body hydrated, by increasing your fluid intake, and cranberry juice has been shown to be helpful.
thank you very much
 LouAnn - Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:36 am

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted I have been back to my PCP and she did a blood test to rule out other things. Everything was normal, including the kidney function. I thought if you had stones it would show up on the blood test. I just finished ABX (Bactrim DS) and I have to take her another urine sample to see if the bacteria is still present. I still "feel" as if it's still there and I have that nagging pain on my right side (flank area), been there for a couple of weeks. I feel as if I need to see a urologist but she has to refer me to one and she keeps having me come back for more treatment. Seems to me that she is treating the SX and not the problem. I will take another sample in this week and we'll see what happens from there.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:48 am

User avatar THANK YOU for you reply
i hope you feel better, and please let me know.
 CCCP - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:47 pm

You should make sure to urinate after sex, as well. And if you're female, make sure you wipe front to back. I know those sound obvious, but it's worth stating.
 LouAnn - Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 am

Well, I took in another urine sample after I finished the ABX last week. My doctor sent me a letter stating the culture was negative. She said if I have another one then she will refer me to a urologist. I "feel" as if I will be getting another one soon. I still have the pressure. I keep you informed. Should come back within the month if it's there.