Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Large vein in scrotum

 brian.p - Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm


I recently visited my GP because I was having a problems with tight foreskin and the head of my penis was not able to pass through properly,also I found a pimple(or what I beleived to be a pimple)on my right testicle.My Doctor examined both testicles and said they were fine,but he did note the right testicle was smaller than the left.He also examined my penis and said that I would need to go see a urologist,and possibly have surgery to correct my tight foreskin problem.

The reason I'm writing this is because he also said I had an enlarged vein in my scrotum(no mention of where),at first I didnt pay any attention to this comment because I was nervous about going to him and having my penis examined(stupid I know).It was only when I got home I remembered the remark and started worrying.

My question is could this be Varicocele?I have never had any discomfort in that area,and also would my doctor report this to the urologist when he is making an appointment?I feel very stupid now for not asking enough questions when I talked to him.

Thanks in advance.
 ajpviau - Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:49 pm

It sounds like varicocele to me, but I am not a doctor. I have varicocele as well. I was originally told (by my doctor and researching the net) that this may be a cause of infertility, but I got my wife pregnant shortly after I was diagnosed, so don't worry too much if it is varicocele. Also, my doc said that it really isn't a problem unless they are very large and cause you any discomfort. Then they would do surgery to releive the pain.
 brian.p - Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks for the reply ajpviau,and I'm glad you were able to get your wife pregnant despite having varicocele.From what I can tell from self examination it is a fairly large vein,either way my doctor didnt suggest varicocele at the time but I should have asked more about his "enlarged vein" remark.

Hopefully he will report to the urologist,just for a second opinion,but like you said it's possible I'm not infertile and I'm probably worrying over nothing.

Again thanks for your reply and reassurance.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us