Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Possible UTI?

g2005 - Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 am

Hello. I have been having symptoms recently that seem to match up with the symptoms of a UTI but I am not sure. The first thing I noticed was a strong smell to my urine, but I shrugged it off and thought maybe it was related to my diet. Then I started having pains in my lower left stomach (below navel, right above pubic bone) and now I am having pains in my left back/side, in the "kidney" area. They are not sharp pains, just dull ones that last for a few seconds and go away. ALL of my pain seems to be on my left side - my right side feels fine. I am not having any burning during urination or urinating too frequently. Thank you for your time, any suggestions are appreciated.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 pm

User avatar Dear g2005

the fact that you do not have all the common symptoms of a urinary tract infection does not mean you do not have it for sure.

sometimes , UTIs are asymptomatic, meaning that the patient does not have any /or all symptoms.

the best way to find out is to have you see your doctor, and he/she will perform a urine analysis, which will dedict if there is an infection or not.

thank you very much
 g2005 - Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have been having symptoms for about a week now, albeit mild ones. I have been just waiting it out and seeing if it gets any better or worse. I am not sure what the problem is. Today my pains have been a little more frequent, pains in my lower left abdomen/left lower back/side area. I was thinking it might be a kidney stone lodged somewhere in there. I'm trying to avoid having to go to the doctor - too expensive. I am going to wait and see how I feel over the next few days. Thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 am

User avatar Hi g2005,
If urine smells anything other than urine,it is UTI unless proved otherwise.The one reliable way of proving UTI is to get one's urine cultured (preferably before starting antibiotic therapy).Each episode of UTI has the potential to destroy your kidneys (however small it may be).If you are put off by the expenses now, you may spend more later on to treat your kidneys.So, think rationally and act swiftly! Cheers!