Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI or Bladder Infections from Intercourse

kingnomad33 - Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Hello I am writing because My fiancee and I are having problems: Since we have been together for the past year we have discovered that for some reason she gets a UTI after sex. She is 31, I am 33. We have conventional sex, nothing anal. She has had ecoli 3 times this year. Each time Macrobid cured her.
In the past she hasn't had this problem with other sex partners. I always use a condom with spermicidal. Others in her past have too?? I am one of the bigger ones but she has had bigger guys.
We are working with a urologist but still can't figure out what is the cause. Her doctor has suggested taking one dose antibiotic after intercourse to stop the UTIs. She doesn't want to be on antibiotics forever and we both want to have a lot of sex and can't.
She has fear that it might be bladder cancer but we don't know?? She had papilary thyroid Cancer at 19 (now gone) and is on levoxl due to having both thyroids removed.
All we want to know is WHAT IS THE TRUE CAUSE? and HOW CAN WE CURE HER PERMANENTLY?
Doctor please help us, give us more to go on... are we the only ones with this problem? Is it just the two of us not being compatible? We both love each other and do not want to loose that because of this problem.
Thank You,
Kingnomad33
 roseyposey - Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:11 am

You are not alone. I am a female age 59 and have suffered from frequent UTI's in the past, especially during my 30's after intercourse. I married at age 22, was married for 10 years, had frequent sex with my husband, and never got a UTI. We divorced. I got 3 UTI's in the first year of my relationship with my 2nd husband. My doctor put me on Macrodantin with instructions to take one dose after intercourse. This knocks out a UTI before it can get started. The only thing was that he told me not to take it more than 3 times a week. I took it for a number of years and it worked. I seldom got a UTI after that. In my experience, a UTI after intercourse is caused by bacteria, from the surface of the skin of either partner, being driven into the woman's ureter during intercourse. My suggestions: take a shower together before intercourse, ASAP after intercourse your fiancee should pee, ask your fiancee to drink 8 oz of cranberry juice EVERY day from now and forever (light version - less calories works fine), take the Macrodantin up to 3 times a week, be creative and do other intimate things the other 4 days of the week (besides intercourse). Also, my 1st husband's technique was different. He was always on top of me on his hands and knees during intercourse. My 2nd husband, who was smaller, not bigger, by the way, was on top of me and put all of his weight on me, (not on hands and knees) which made more of his skin rub and come in contact with me. I hope this information helps you. I'm not a doctor, but it's NOT cancer.