Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Can doctors tell why you have gotten a UTI?

missmontana - Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 am

Hello everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to be writing here, but need to seek help. I'm 17 years old, and just have recently become sexually active. I'm fairly certain that's the cause of my newest UTI, although I use to get them somewhat frequently as a little girl. The only thing that is holding me back from going to my doctor, is that I'm not sure if the doctor will be able to tell exactly how I got it, and if he can... I don't want my mom to find out quite yet. Not like this, anyhow. But I'd like to go and so something as soon as possible, for the uncomfortability increases and I have a dull constant pain in the right side of my lower back, which from reading could be due to a possible kidney infection. Any helpful feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!

-A Worried Teen
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Please state if sexual activity is protected or unprotected and if single or mutiple partners are involved.
Based on this information, you will be guided on the course of action to take.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us