Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Can doctors tell why you have gotten a UTI?

missmontana - Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 am

Hello everyone. I'm a bit embarrassed to be writing here, but need to seek help. I'm 17 years old, and just have recently become sexually active. I'm fairly certain that's the cause of my newest UTI, although I use to get them somewhat frequently as a little girl. The only thing that is holding me back from going to my doctor, is that I'm not sure if the doctor will be able to tell exactly how I got it, and if he can... I don't want my mom to find out quite yet. Not like this, anyhow. But I'd like to go and so something as soon as possible, for the uncomfortability increases and I have a dull constant pain in the right side of my lower back, which from reading could be due to a possible kidney infection. Any helpful feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!

-A Worried Teen
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Please state if sexual activity is protected or unprotected and if single or mutiple partners are involved.
Based on this information, you will be guided on the course of action to take.