Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Severe pain & Leaking

ocean breeze - Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 am

Hello:)

I am a 45 year old female and have had that I can recall 2 UTI's and 1 bladder infection over the years. I do smoke and have a family history of melanoma, breast cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke and heart disease. I also have a herniated L5/S1 with bilateral sciatica. I had a stage 4 pap when I was 28 followed by surgery and a negative pap and now get a pap once a year. I have hypothyroidism. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 7/04 due to menstruating all but approx. 5 days a month and severe pain that seemed to be coming from my right ovary. The ovary did have a couple cysts so it was removed. I still have my left ovary along with the pain on the right side.

Current medications are synthroid and topamax along with Tylenol as needed.

I have been having difficulty with leaking, frequent urination, urgency to urinate with the only results being a dribble if anything and associated pain with and without urination. I get up during the night because of severe pain mostly on the right side which runs along my hip bone and I have to pee. While urinating I have to keep trying to stop as the pain is more severe when I'm actually going. I go through the same thing in the morning and the severe pain lingers, sometimes throbbing for an hour or two.

If I laugh, cough, sneeze, get startled or even stand up I leak a little. I can immediately go to the bathroom and I don't actually pee anymore. This has been going on for a few years now. I have been told various things by different doctors. My primary physician felt it was due to my back injuries. My gynecologist felt it was 'getting older' and the hysterectomy and my new Dr (because I have moved to a new state) isn't sure what to make of it except that he did say cancer isn't painful so I shouldn't worry and it could just be lesions from the surgery. But! The pain was there before the surgery. *confused*

I have been tested and I have no UTI but there is blood in my urine which explains the blood like stains on my underwear. He asked me to come back in 3 weeks for another urine test to see if there is still a presence of blood. I did and there is. Now he wants me to come back again in 2 weeks (the 17th) to see if there is still blood there.

May be unrelated but I also recently seemed to have developed a rather irritable bowel problem.

Frankly, I'm getting spooked. Something isn't adding up here and this has been going on for a long time and getting worse. Not sure if I should wait it out with this new Dr I have or I should seek out a Urologist.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point.

Thank you for your time. :~)
 TWITCHYTALLY - Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:37 pm

I`m sure there are several conditions that could give you the same symptoms, so my own condition is just a possibility.
Intersticial cystitus is a chronic inflammation of the bladder lining,
often without bacteria being present in urine samples, the cause of it is unknown, but can follow surgery, or spontaneous,
mainly women, some men, all age groups, the main symptom being frequency, as often as every l5min for some, passing small amounts ,often with severe pain, stinging and soreness,
some with it get severe lower back pain, pelvic pain, or pain in the region of the urethra, ureter, bladder, others have little pain,
many with this condition have ibs, skin probs, and other related conditions. l also had to have a hysterectomy for heavy loss and flooding, which started following a c-section-sterilisation, which in turn was the start of the bladder problems for me.
Its often difficult to diagnose, requiring a urologist who can do a cystascope and biopsy, if all other tests fail to show a cause and the problem continues, it took me, and many others years to get a diagnosis, due to it being fairly rare and little known of by most people, including some gps, hope;fully most are now aware as it is a truly painful and miserable condition to deal with, there is no real cure, but quite a lot of different treatments for the symptoms.
Its worth a look in on the intersticial cystitus web sites for a more detailed understanding of the symptoms, which may help confirm or reject it as the cause of your symtoms, but also give you advice on things that might ease your discomfort.
Hope you can get to see a urologist asap for a diagnosis, l wouldnt wish the years of pain and misery on anyone before l saw a urologist and got a diagnosis and treatment.
Whatever the cause l hope you have improvement asap.
good luck
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 pm

As you have blood in the urine, it has to be taken seriously and a urological assessment is mandatory (this may include a cystoscopic examination).
A gynecological check also may be needed to exclude a cystocele and weakness of the pelvic floor.
Was your hysterectomy something to do with endometriosis? - in which case endometriosis also comes into consideration as a cause.Cheers!