Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: urine has ammonia smell-remedy?

lisamoto - Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:25 pm

I have recently started a diet/excercise program I have been consuming high protein (drinks), muti-vit, cq10, omega3, c, and a fat burner. Is there a way of neutalizing my urine without consuming more carbs.The smell of ammonia is horrible. Does it eventually go away on its own?I s it the supplements or the high protein? It has only been a little over a week on this program. Age 39,F, no dx or meds or past history. I am also assuming that this smell is from the above mentioned after scowering other related topics, am I wrong? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:21 am

User avatar Hi lisamoto,
An ammonia odor in the urine may indicate, ie., an underlying infection, dehydration, etc. Increasing the amount of fluid intake (recommended daily consumption of water) should eliminate the odor if it is related to dehydration. If the odor persists an evaluation by your physician is warranted to identify if an underlying infection is the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us