Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI - Please Help

 welshstar - Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 am


My boyfriend is 25 and hes had a fair few "Urine Infections" or Water Infections as the Dr calls them, he has had about 8 different antibiotics in 2 years, and about 6 of them have been in the last 4 months!

He has had chlamydia and been treated for it about 2 months ago, but the water or urine infections are still there, and they are getting worse.

The symptoms he gets are:
Discharge (Only recently)
Unable to fully empty his bladder when peeing - the feeling he needs to go again straight afterwards
Not a constant flow

His penis is getting a bit dry as well, but he is washing it and drying it a lot, and too many antibiotics may be causing thursh, is that correct? I have got canesten for him and that seems to be helping the dryness.

The Dr keeps fobbing him off with antibiotics, he really needs a refferal to see a specialist, there is an 8 month waiting list.

Does this sound like a UTI? And are there any ways to relieve the symptoms whilst waiting? It is really getting him down.

 welshstar - Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:48 am

Please could someone reply! This is really worrying both of us!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:46 pm

A urethral discharge associated with urinary disturbance is suggestive of urethritis, and not a urine infection. Urethritis in a sexually active adult is most often caused by a sexually transmitted disease.

Your boyfriend should be investigated in a genitourinary clinic to exclude unresolved STD, or a chronic complication arising from STD not adequately and promptly treated. Have you been investigated and treated as his sex partner, after he was diagnosed with chlamydial urethritis?

I do not know which specialist he has been referred to, but in the UK where you are based, investigation and treatment for STDs are usually free and fast-track in genitourinary clinics.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 welshstar - Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:22 am

We've both been to a GUM clinic and were clean. It was me who had the chlamydia in the first place and passed it on to him, but he already had a problem with being unable to fully empty his bladder (or feeling like he hadnt emptied it) before he even met me.
When the chlamydia was there then he had discharge, we had more tablets for that from the GUM clinic and the discharge has stopped. There is still another problem though, although the antibiotics he had last time have helped it, the Dr seems to think that there might be scar tissues there - something in the passage? I don't know exactly as I havent been into the Drs with him. His brother in law had a similar problem bfore, and had a magic eye, then a small operation to clear whatever it was???
Thanks for the reply, hope to hear from you again soon.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:42 am

Examination of the urethra and urinary bladder by cystourethroscopy is now indicated to exclude urethral stricture or any other structural abnormality of the urethra and bladder.

This investigation is usually performed by a urologist and I presume this is the specialist your boyfriend has been referred to.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us