Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Phimosis

Agent7 - Mon May 17, 2004 4:29 am

Hi I have a question and I would any one with the relevant knowledge to advise me.
Currently I am suffering from phimosis, I cannot even retract at all during erection or non erection state. Is there any health problems which will arise from phimosis?

If I want to treat my current condition, will circumcision or a dorsal slit be appropriate or any other methods?
What is the difference between these 2 operation? Which is better for me? I just want it to be retractable thats all. How long will I take to heal from either operation?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:15 am

User avatar Hello Agent7,

I apologize for the delay in response, you may have dealt with this and moved on with your life but in the case that you haven’t or for others, I will attempt to answer.

The adult phimosis is a thin contour of skin tissue located towards the front of the inner foreskin and it narrows the opening of the foreskin. Imagine a ring which is too small to fit the finger, if it does pass the knuckle, it hurts, or it gets stuck. A phimotic ring can make retraction of the foreskin over and behind the glans impossible, painful, or difficult, the foreskin may even get stuck behind the glans.

Partial and full circumcision in adults can be very painful and the glans can be extremely sensitive afterwards, especially when all the foreskin is removed. Surgical circumcision techniques that may be used are ventral slit circumcision, dorsal slit circumcision and sleeve technique (full) circumcision. Talk to your Physician prior to having any procedure done to see which is best for you. Ask about potential risks, bleeding, infections, sutures, injury possibilities and removal or to much or too little skin