Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Overactive Bladder question

dclewis - Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:09 am

I am 46, female and have been diagnosed (sort of) with overactive bladder. I had a bladder biopsy and cystoscopy done last October, normal. My symptoms were a constant urge to urinate, frequent urination, even immediately after urinating, still felt the urge to go. My doctor gave me a prescription for Oxytrol which I understand is for overactive bladder.

My doc didn't talk to me about overactive bladder. Is this a real condition? I'm starting to feel like this is all in my imagination. Is he just appeasing me by giving me a prescription??

Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 27, 2006 4:35 am

User avatar Hi dclewis,
Overactive bladder syndrome is a "real" condition which may have different causes. Since your cystoscopy results were normal this would rule out a bladder etiology such as cystitis. Aside from the medication, were you instructed to do Kegel exercises, bladder training, etc.? Have you been evaluated by a gynecologist? There has been some research linking pelvic floor muscle weakness with urinary symptoms and doing exercises to increase the strength of the pelvic floor seems to alleviate some of the symptoms.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us