Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI and PCOS?

Autopsywoman - Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:57 am

I am a 33 year old female with a history of PCOS, secondary diabetes and hypothyroidism. I am accustomed to getting large painful cysts on my ovaries, but two years ago I got a very large cyst (5 cm) on my right ovary and had such severe pain I had to go to the ER. While there they did some urine tests and discovered I had a very bad infection, blood in the urine, high white bc, etc. and diagnosed me with a UTI. They said they weren't sure whether the pain was from the cyst or the UTI. This year (this past 3 weeks) I had it happen again. Once again with severe pain, I ended up at the ER. They did the typical ultrasounds and urine tests. They said there was evidence of a burst cyst (fluid in the ovary area) but they found another severe UTI and so began antibiotics. Well, 3 weeks and 3 series of antibiotics later (Cipro, Bactrim) it is still causing me pain and problems. The doc said the cysts and UTI's could be related (bacteria from cysts, etc.). I'm desperate for help because I've tried everything (6,000mg cranberry tablets a day, tons of water, antibiotics, heavy narcotic painkillers...). They said my kidneys are fine, but I don't know how long that will last with my current regimine...

Thank you for your reply,
Amber
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 09, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi Autopsywoman,
Are you currently being treated for PCOS? If not, I would question why. Recurrent UTI's should be evaluated by a Urologist.