Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI and PCOS?

 Autopsywoman - Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:57 am

I am a 33 year old female with a history of PCOS, secondary diabetes and hypothyroidism. I am accustomed to getting large painful cysts on my ovaries, but two years ago I got a very large cyst (5 cm) on my right ovary and had such severe pain I had to go to the ER. While there they did some urine tests and discovered I had a very bad infection, blood in the urine, high white bc, etc. and diagnosed me with a UTI. They said they weren't sure whether the pain was from the cyst or the UTI. This year (this past 3 weeks) I had it happen again. Once again with severe pain, I ended up at the ER. They did the typical ultrasounds and urine tests. They said there was evidence of a burst cyst (fluid in the ovary area) but they found another severe UTI and so began antibiotics. Well, 3 weeks and 3 series of antibiotics later (Cipro, Bactrim) it is still causing me pain and problems. The doc said the cysts and UTI's could be related (bacteria from cysts, etc.). I'm desperate for help because I've tried everything (6,000mg cranberry tablets a day, tons of water, antibiotics, heavy narcotic painkillers...). They said my kidneys are fine, but I don't know how long that will last with my current regimine...

Thank you for your reply,
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 09, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi Autopsywoman,
Are you currently being treated for PCOS? If not, I would question why. Recurrent UTI's should be evaluated by a Urologist.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us