Question: scrotal pain

Very Worried - Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:43 am

I guess you are now my only hope…

I’ve been to a general surgeon (to rule out hernia), two urologists and a GP who does acupuncture. The GP/accpuncturist told me to see a psychotherapist…

Acupuncture, I was hoping, would alleviate the pain but the doctor was so impersonal, skeptical and patronizing compounding he recommended I seek mental help I just about gave up. That is, of course until I saw your website.

Now, I don’t think my prostate is the problem at least I don’t think so. What I’m experiencing is a dull ache in my scrotum that may have resulted from a full blown 5 block sprint with not much support going on as I was wearing a suit and trying to escape the rain. Prior to that run I did some lifting and I felt a sharp pinch in the lower left abdomen. In between the lifting and the run I’d say there was about a week in time but the day after the run (11/17/05) I had the most unbelievable pain in my left testicle.

My wife was also a bit rough on my testicles over several weeks in October as she was being experimental. She was doing anything weird but after a while I told her I started to feel uncomfortable.

Before going to the ER I didn’t take any pain meds. Just tried to wait it out and hope it would dissipate on its own. Three days later the pain shifted to the right side. After about a week I ended up in the emergency room where they did a sonogram-everything was normal.

Both urologists put me on anti bacteria meds which I cant really say is responsible for the pain diminishing somewhat or if it was just time but between the onset of this phenomenon and the present, I’d say the pain has gone from unbearable to manageable but I wish it would go away entirely. Both urologists said I had epditimytis but no infection was found.

I had a CT scan done and they found varicoceles on both the left and right side of my scrotum. The left side was medium sized and right was small. I asked the urologist if this would be the cause of my discomfort and he replied that varicoceles typically do not cause pain and if they do the pain goes away in time. Maybe all that banging around during that run caused the varicoceles as a result of trauma?

Anyway the pain has dissipated to a degree. It used to be continuously painful now it’s just a continuous ache. The pain I can handle ( I think) it’s just that the pain increases several hours after ejaculation. This is making it very difficult for me to enjoy my once harmonious and happy marriage and as supportive and understanding as my wife may be, we have to plan out our sex life instead of spontaneously enjoying it. I need help, very, very, badly. I don’t know which way to go, who to turn or what lies in my future but all I want is for things to go back the way they used to.

If anything I am mired in depression as my sex life which was once great, now sucks.

I’ve begged and pleaded with doctors to do more thorough tests. Maybe I have a sports hernia to which they shook their heads.

I feel as though none of the Doctors I've seen want to investigate further into the matter. I'm told to take another regimen of anti biotics and Advil at every visit. This approach is clearly not helping and I don't know what to do.

If you can’t hear the cries and the sobs in this letter as I write it believe it when I say it, they are there. I can’t believe I am to be left in this condition till the end. There’s got to be a reason for this and there has to be a solution.

Please help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi Very Worried,
Varicocele's are often asymptomatic (causes no symptoms). However, when symptoms do arise there is a feeling of heaviness and ache in the testicles, the feeling of a "bag of worms" in your scrotum. Mild symptoms may be alleviated by snug fitting undershorts or scrotal support. One of the complications of a varicocele aside from the obvious pain is a problem with fertility because the blood flow isn't properly cooled and may cause damage to sperm. When symptoms become more than mild and there are issues regarding fertility varicoceles are surgically treated. If you have had a CT scan and this was revealed, it absolutely will cause varying degrees of pain and discomfort and I would strongly suggest that you have another evaluation by a different Urologist and take along with you the CT Scan report.
Sincrerely,